The R.S.L. was
formed in 1916. In this area a combined sub branch was formed consisting
of the Windsor, Richmond & Kurrajong districts. Windsor split
to form a seperate sub branch in 1931.
Our first record
of Richmond / Kurrajong is a minute dated 4th February 1935. In September
1941 it was decided to purchase five blocks of land at the corner
of East Market Street & Francis Street at a cost of 200 pounds
The first Memorial
Hall was in Bosworth Street. First meeting in July 1946 and the first
Bowling Green was laid in October of that year. In July 1947 the R.S.L.
building was taken over by the Richmond Exservicemens Club. The sub
branch loaned the new club 200 pounds to get started and rented the
furniture for 10 shillings per week.
In May 1950, the
rent was raised to 600 pounds a week to help pay for the upkeep of
the Bowling Green.
All the minutes
for meetings held in 1956 to 1959 are missing. In that period the
loan account increased to 25,000 pounds as shown in the minutes of
April 1960. In October the Exservicemens Club refused the Womens Auxillary
permission to run a raffle on club premises.
The 1961 Audit
shows property valued at 55,000 pounds assets 1,646 and 4,754 in the
1964 saw the Womens
Auxillary complain about the conduct of the Younger Set on dance nights.
The sub branch stated members would be in attendance to prevent further
In 1965 there
was now worth 60,000 pounds, some investments, 200 pounds in 1941.
No minutes available from November 1968 to March 1973, the loan account
had risen to 69,997 pounds, ???.
1977, most of
the property was sold to the Club. A loan of $30,000 was made to the
Hawkesbury Community & R.S.L. Homes Trust.
In 1979 the Memorial
Hall was sold for $95,000, The then treasurer said he hoped the money
would be invested wisely to eventually make the sub branch completely
independant of the Club.
Since 1980 much
money has been given to many charities for relief in many ways, scholarships
and donations as the members thought necessary.
The premises we
now own, purchased in 1996, consisting of the front hall built in
1845, the rear hall built in 1860 was the first school built in Richmond.
The premises were sold to the Masonic Lodge in 1929. The Sub Branch
paid $295,000 in 1996 and we have spent about another $70,000 to make
the premises a credit to the Sub Branch and the town of Richmond.
Overall a wonderfull
effort by the Sub Branch & the Womens Auxillary.